Testing and Assessment FAQs
If there are grades, how will they be determined?
The Arizona Virtual Academy (AZVA) is a mastery-based program in grades K–5, which means students master concepts and lessons before moving on to the next lesson. Students will be required to submit assignments to their teachers for evaluation and feedback. Teachers will assess mastery and provide quantitative feedback in the secondary grades. Quantitative grading begins in 6th grade at AZVA and 7th grade in Insight Academy of Arizona.
What tests are required as part of the program?
In a virtual setting we use testing just as any other school would: to monitor student achievement as well as to highlight any areas of need. There are several tests that are considered mandatory for our students. They include the following:
- NWEA-the NWEA district test is a computer-based benchmark assessment completed at home. The test is proctored three times during the school year and used by teachers as a benchmark to assess individual and class-wide strengths, weaknesses, and growth.
- AzM2 Grade Level Testing-is a state required assessment that must be completed by students in grades 3rd-8th and 10th grade at school approved testing locations across the state. The test for school year 2020-2021 will be held between April 5th and April 15th. All testing information including; testing dates, times and locations will be communicated to families during the spring semester.
- AIMS Science and AzSCI-are state required assessments in Science that must be completed by students at school approved testing locations across the state. The testing for school year 2020-2021 will be held between April 5th and April 15th with testing dates, locations and times communicated to families during the spring semester. Students in grades 4th and 10th grade will complete the AIMS Science test. Students in 5th, 8th, and 11th will complete the AzSCI Field test this school year. As a field test, scores will not be provided to schools or families.
- MSAA, MSAA Science, and AIMS A-Students with significant cognitive disabilities may qualify for alternative assessments. the special education department wil communicate specific tests, dates and times to qualifying students.
- AZELLA- Students identified as English Learners may be required to participate in the AZELLA placement test and/or reassessment test. The English Learner team will communicate specific tests, dates, and times to qualifying students.
Do I have to participate in state testing?
Yes. As a public charter school, Arizona Virtual Academy is required by state law to administer annual testing. Any student attending a public charter school is required to participate in this mandated state testing. By statue, students who do not participate are subject to withdrawal during that school year.