Gifted and Talented School Program in Arizona
What Is RISE?
RISE stands for Reaching Intellectual Success and Excellence. RISE is Arizona Virtual Academy’s (AZVA’s) self-contained program for gifted students.*
Students accepted to RISE are encouraged to take their learning to a deeper level as they explore their interests, solve problems, and work side-by-side with other gifted students.
RISE students benefit from:
- Live class discussions, projects, and collaborative virtual learning
- Instruction from gifted-certified teachers
- Renzulli Learning supplements personalized to their age and ability level
- Acceleration in areas of exceptional strength
- Interest-based projects and field trips
Who is RISE intended for?
Gifted students in grades 3–9 who meet one of the following criteria:
- Exhibit high-performance capability in an intellectual, creative, or artistic area
- Possess an unusual capacity for leadership
- Excel in a specific academic field
What are the qualifications?
Qualifying for RISE involves three steps:
Nominated students must be identified as gifted according to one of the following qualifications:
Composite IQ score
- 125–134 for the pull-out program
- 135+ for the self-contained program
Qualifying score in the 97th percentile on a state-approved gifted assessment (e.g., the CoGAT test or similar)
- 97th percentile (V or Q) for the self-contained program
- 92nd–96th percentile (V or Q) or 97th percentile for the pull-out program
How does my child get started?
*Only students enrolled at AZVA are eligible to apply to RISE.